PwnageTool 2.0.2 has been release for firmware 2.0.1. This is available only for Mac at this time. There are more notes from the Dev Team at their blog at blog.iphone-dev.org. You can download PwnageTool here:
It seems that the developers of WinPwn are in the process of developing a new WinPwn that is, “a lot easier to use and should help a lot of people having issues.” I’m not exactly sure what that means…the current process seems to be decent. So, I guess we will just have to wait any see. They say WinPwn 2.5 will be released “very soon.” We will keep an eye out for it!
An updated version of WinPwn was released yesterday. Doug and I had a chance to test the new version last night and it worked great. Doug is in the process of trying to convert and edit a demo video on how to use WinPwn so, keep an eye out for that. Below is a list of fixes for WinPwn 220.127.116.11 and upcoming features in the future.
• Cydia/XP/Writing root FS bug.
• Failed to remove ipsw directory after a ipswBuild failure.
• iPwner now only accepts custom ipsws.
• Remove 345 ipsw support. WinPwn only supports 347 2.0 ipsw’s.
• Various other fixes.
• Parition resizer
• Auto updater
• DFU Helper function/Wizard mode
It’s here! We’ll be testing soon. Again, no Installer yet, but you want to try it here’s the instructions and downloads (be sure to also read the Important Notes section below):
– 1) Uninstall WinPwn 1.0 first.
- 2) First create a custom IPSW using the IPSW Builder.
- a) you will need the 2.0 firmware file. The one for the 1st Gen is different than the 3G. You can download them from our firmware page or you can click upgrade in iTunes and then unplug your iPhone to force iTunes to download it. The file will be stored in your local drive, usually C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
– 3) Click “Ipwner” and browse for the custom IPSW that you just created. This will pwn itunes and allow you to flash Custom IPSW files via DFU mode
– 4) Once you have pwned Itunes, put your phone into DFU mode. If you don’t know how to do this click Here.
– 5) Once you are in DFU mode Itunes will pop up and then you can hold shift and click restore and browse to your custom IPSW file.
Though we have already seen the release of Pwnage 2.0 as a jailbreak option for firmware 2.0, some of us (that includes Doug and I) are anxiously awaiting the release of WinPwn, the windows version of Pwnage. We do not have any hard evidence of when it is going to be released but the guys over at WinPwn.com say that we can expect to see it in the next few days. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Once it has been released we will do a full article on how to use it and how it worked for us. Though, as of now, Installer is still not available for firmware 2.0 and there have not been many application ported over. Let me know in the comments if those of you on 1.1.4 and below will update to 2.0 and jailbreak right away or if you will hang out on your jailbroke 1.1.4 for a little while.
There is already an update to Pwnage. If PwnageTool 2.0 worked for you already, you do not need to do this again. Here are some of the issues that have been fixed:
- It auto-finds the bl39 and bl46 files better, if they’re on your computer
- It creates the ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support/ folder if not present, which should help with some 1600 errors people have been having.
- Many people have reported the PwnageTool not starting up at all (the icon never stops bouncing). This issue should be resolved now.
- The Sparkle AppCast URL is fixed in this version, so automatic updates should work for future releases.
Pwnage has been released.
We will be testing it shortly. This is only available for the Mac at this time. If you try it, let us know your results in the comments.
UPDATE: You will need the 2.0 firmware. Use the file you used to upgrade your iPhone to 2.0.
UPDATE 2: So far, not as easy as predicted. Only the 1st Gen iPhone is supported at this time for unlocking. If you’re looking for apps, they aren’t there yet. Installer isn’t even available. Cydia is but no apps yet. There is OpenSSH so you can dig into that if you want :) So, unless you are looking to unlock the 1st Gen iPhone with firmware 2.0, I would wait until Installer and some apps are ported over to 2.0.
UPDATE 3: A few bugs I see. First, you can’t run pwner unless you go through making the custom firmware. Let’s say you’re going to do a second iPhone. You have to go through the process again. If I’m wrong about this let me know. If your iPhone has been pwned before you don’t need to do it again.
UPDATE 4: I keep getting this error:2008-07-19 21:45:48 – Failed to prepare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw file.
The Dev Team continues to keep us updated on their progress. They are still trying to work out a few bugs (scroll way down) but, they have posted a list on what PwnageTool 2.0 supports so far. It looks as though everything can be jailbroke and activated however, they do not have the iPhone 3G unlocked yet. Check it out:
So, currently (when released) PwnageTool 2.0 will support:-
• iPhone (1st Gen) with 2.0 – Activated, Unlocked & Jailbroken, (with support for third party applications).
• iPod Touch with 2.0 – Activated & Jailbroken, (with support for third party applications).
• iPhone (3G) with 2.0 – Activated, Jailbroken (with support for third party applications).
We’ve made some progress on the baseband unlock of the 3G device, but at this point PwnageTool will not support 3G unlocking or BootNeuter on the 3G device. It is, of course supported on the first generation device with 2.0. We’ll push out an update with 3G support if and when it is completed.
As soon as we fix this up and test a bit more we’ll be ready for release, we’ll get back to you with a release schedule soon.
We have had quite a few questions on what the deal is with jailbreaking firmware 2.0. Many of you are asking about the drama between YiPhone, ZiPhone and the Dev Team. All of which have been rumored to be creating a jailbreak for firmware 2.0. Honestly, I’m not big on drama…I will believe a jailbreak when I see it and have tested it. Until then, we will have to just wait!! Though, I hope it is soon…I really miss a ton of my Installer apps like; iPhoneHome, MIM, Kate, IntelliScreen, Customize, SummerBoard….the list goes on! Now, I just hope the apps can be rewritten to work with firmware 2.0 (why did I upgrade again?). :)
The guys over at the Dev Team have released this video and screenshot…both showing that the iPhone 3G has been jailbroke! The actual jailbreak has not been released yet but, I can only image that it is not too far away!
Not available yet but looks like it’s been done. See more here: blog.iphone-dev.org Screenshots below.
Update via Brooke: :)
Well, it has been said that the Dev Team has jailbroken firmware 2.0. It is not available yet and we have definitly not tested it. So, if you are someone who wants to keep your current jailbroken applications, has an iPhone that is fake activated or has an unlocked iPhone….DO NOT UPDATE TO 2.0. As Doug mentioned earlier today in his article Warning – Read This Before Upgrading to Firmware 2.0 if you upgrade, you will lose your jailbreak and your iPhone will no longer be unlocked. If it was fake activated…it will pretty much be useless, you wouldn’t even be able to get to the SpringBoard (though, you could make an emergency call with it!). Also, even though 2.0 has been jailbroke… [Read more...]
If you have either a jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch, or a unlocked iPhone, DO NOT UPGRADE if you want to keep these features. At the time this article was written and published there is no proof that the new iPhone 3G is jailbreakable or unlockable. As soon as this changes we will let you know. If you are willing to lose these features and want the App Store then you can upgrade like normal through iTunes. If your iPhone is unlocked to a different carrier, upgrading to firmware 2.0 will re-lock your iPhone and it will no longer work. You may be able to downgrade back to 1.1.4 or previous but there is no solid proof this will work yet. [Read more...]
My mind can’t help but dream of the future of the iPhone 3G. I know that it will get jailbroke and unlocked, but how? With AT&T requiring you to activate in the store or Apple store how will pwnage or winpwn work? It restores your iPhone using custom hacked firmware through iTunes which then iTunes activated the iPhone. If this activation process is no longer done in iTunes, how will jailbreaking occur? I know previous methods such as jailbreakme.com used Safari exploits to gain write access and add Installer.app without needing to restore and reactivate. [Read more...]