iCopter is a game based off of the highly addicting game Helicopter. iCopter is developed by Squimmy from the iPodTouchForums. iCopter is a very early release, so expect some glitches and uncompleted things that would wouldn’t normally have in a fully completed application. When the application is started a blurred notepad will appear, I am assuming that the developer did not implement a loading screen yet. In order to start the game, just tap the screen. The object of the game is to steer a green helicopter while dodging oncoming blocks. The helicopter will automatically start to fall, in order to raise the helicopter simply tap the screen. Hold your finger on the screen until the helicopter is at the desired height then let go. If you hit an oncoming block, the ceiling, or the ground…it is game over. There is a constant ticker at the bottom that increases as long as the helicopter is in flight. You can get the application from HERE. At this point there is no repository for iCopter, so you have to SSH into your iPod/iPhone and drag it into the /Applications folder on your iPhone and change all the permission to 0755. This has only been tested with a 1.1.1 iPod Touch and a 1.1.1 iPhone so your outcomes may vary depending on your firmware/device. This is a great start for the application and I can not wait for future releases. At the bottom I just made a list of things that need to be added/changed since there is no point of naming all the problems of a first release. Also, check out the screen shots below.
Things that need to be fixed/changed: (remember very early release)
- iCopter needs a repository
- An actual loading/introduction screen.
- The ceiling and the floor during the actual game play has to be a lot more smoother, right now it is very jagged.
- Some way of knowing the helicopter crashed, like a graphic instead of just having the screen freeze.
- Easier controls, the helicopter takes a little while to react.
- The score counter has to increase faster.
- A high score table for personal use, and an internet high score table.