Before the recent event from Apple I was waiting for the announcement of new iPhone OS so I could upgrade and get all the new features. Unfortunately, there was no update as of yet. So, I decided to rejailbreak my iPhone. I’ve been missing push notifications from my last jailbreak and wanted to go a different route. Before I restore my iPhone I sync my iPhone and then use SSH to backup all kinds of stuff. Here’s the process I use. Some are redundant because the iTunes sync backs them up but many times I’ve had a bad backup or want to start fresh and if you don’t back up everything, you will lose it. If you can think of anything else, please add it in the comments and I’ll add it to the list.
1. Sync with iTunes. This will save all of your App Store & stock app information like notes, game saves, logins, etc. Again, if you are not going to restore from this backup then you don’t need to do this.
2. Remove all pictures and videos using the USB connections. If something has happened where you can’t access your iPhone via USB to see pictures, like me right now. You can go to /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/ and manually download them via SSH. Beware, if you have a lot of pictures and videos, it may take a while.
3. Take a screenshot of every page of your springboard. I also take them of Winterboard and my Settings app where the jailbroken apps list is.
4. Open Cydia and write down or take screenshots of everything under manage>packages that you’ve installed.
You don’t need to do the following if you are using a synced backup but I still do this incase the backup is corrupt.
5. Backup Voice Memos: manually SSH off from /private/var/mobile/Media/Recordings If you want to put them back later, make sure you get the Recordings.db file.
6. Backup Contacts: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb and contact’s picture from the same folder: AddressBookImages.sqlitedb
7. Backup Calendar: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb
8. Backup Call History: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/CallHistory/call_history.db
9. Backup Keyboard Auto-Corrections and Dictionary: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Keyboard/user_autocorrections.plist and user_dictionary.plist You can also copy the dynamic-text.dat file. It seems to be a collection of phrases of words you use the the keyboard can adapt and predict what words you’re typing.
10. Backup Maps Bookmarks, Directions & History: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Maps/Bookmarks.plist, Directions.plist & History.plist
11. Backup Notes: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes/notes.db & notes.idx
12. Backup Safari Bookmarks, History & Last State: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, History.plist & SuspendState.plist
13. Backup Text Messages: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db
14. Backup Voicemail Messages: manually SSH off /private/var/mobile/Library/Voicemail/voicemail.db and any other files ending with .amr
15. Backup WebClips (bookmarked webpages you’ve added to your home screen): /private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips/(all folders ending in .webclip)
16. Backup AppStore app info: some App Store apps may store info for you that you will want. For example, a todo list, twitter accounts, etc. You will have to check each folder in /private/var/mobile/Applications. It’s a guess sometimes as to which folder is which app. Sometimes you can see the name in the folders or something that gives it away. Usually you can find what you need in each app’s “Documents” folder. Some of this will be different for each app so good luck!
After backing everything up I restore with iTunes, re-jailbreak and sync it back up. All Cydia apps will have to be reinstalled. Let me know if you think I missed anything and also share with others your process of backing up and restoring.