When Apple releases a new firmware they don’t like people using older firmware. Sometimes jailbreaking new firmware takes a while and if you ever need to restore to your older firmware it won’t work unless you have your SHSH info. This only applies to the iPhone 3GS, 3rd Gen iPod touch and iPad because they all have a ECID in them which stands for “Exclusive Chip ID”. So, to restore to an older firmware you need the SHSH info for that info and for your device. To backup this info from your device there is a sweet little program called AutoSHSH. This is a Windows only program.
Once downloaded just follow these easy steps:
1. Open iTunes
2. Connect your device to the computer via USB
3. Put the device into recovery mode. (hold the lock/power button and the home button until your computer pops up a messages saying, “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.”)
4. Open AutoSHSH
5. Click OK to confirm that you have an internet connection and a device in recovery mode is plugged in.
6. Click OK to confirm that you have Java Runtime. If you don’t, click no and it will direct you to the download link. Install that and start over at step 4.
7. Click “Grab my SHSH Blobs Automatically”
8. Wait and then it will ask you where you want to save the file.
9. Unplug the device and hold the lock/power button and the home button until it reboots.
Your file is now saved and has been sent to Cydia’s servers. If you need to restore, you will need to point your iTunes to Cydia instead of Apple which you can find instructions on how to do that here:
Download AutoSHSH via ih8sn0w.com
Instructions on how to point your iTunes to Cydia/Saurik’s servers instead of Apple’s (scroll down to “Bypassing the Overload”)